Saturday, December 07, 2019
Writing Answers to get Good Grades
1. Always be attentive in class: Most of us thinks that missing one or two class or more will not cost anything. But unfortunately, this is the time when we miss many essential topics and sometimes crucial information about presenting the answer in the examinations.
Especially if you have a quiet personality, it may be challenging, but participation in class will show your teacher that you care about their subject and want better grades. Teachers usually base the grades on different factors, and one of them is attendance.
2. Taking notes in the class: I have observed in my teaching career that there are a number of students who make extra efforts and take notes in the classes. Not everything spoken by the teacher in class may be present in the slides or notes shared by him. So, it is always better to go with a notebook in the class and jot down the important things. You can further work on preparing your notes from books, the internet, and other relevant sources. Making notes also makes you remember everything before time, which will decrease your anxiety in the examination.
3. Focus on group study: It is always better to study in groups with your friends as it opens up the chances for more questioning and discussion, clearing up any doubts. Also, some of the students may not be present in the previous class or may not be able to understand the topic clearly in the class, and group study can eradicate all these issues. You will also be more creative in this way. Try to work on group assignments and group projects.
4. Always plan your time: Time is very precious, which can be undone when passed. Therefore, I recommend using a paper calendar book to avoid distracting from your mobile. Write down all relevant due dates, exam days, and out-of-school activities. Make this a daily or weekly habit, at least.
5. Practice past year papers: This will make you practice the questions frequently asked and how to answer them perfectly. Most of the times you will find few questions repeated from previous year papers. Take help from your seniors and faculty members for the same.
1. Understand the question: Many of us answer the question without correctly understanding it. This not only results in the wrong concept of the answer but also makes the examiner frustrated and feeling that the student is entirely out of the box in a particular question.
2. Answering the question: The question should be answered very precisely and up to the point concerning the question. Never try to goof up the answer from here and there to make it look lengthy. Following tips will help you to answer well in examination:
a. Answer as per the question asked
b. Divide your answer into several parts whenever possible, like introduction, main body, and conclusion.
c. Explain the answer with suitable examples and diagrams whenever possible and time permits you. It may be possible that illustration or diagram have not been asked in the question, but making it this way will not only create positive impact on examiner but will also allows him to grade you on different factors in comparison with other students.
d. Do not brief up your answers, until and unless it is asked.
e. Use different charts, flowcharts, bullets, symbols to present your answer.
3. Do not over-write too much: Many times we make mistakes and cut the previous answer very brutally, making it difficult to understand for the examiner. Just think for a minute and then answer, so that you can avoid over-writing or messing up on the paper.
4. Do not use multi-color pens until and unless it is very much required. Also, completely avoid using red pens.
5. Manage you time: Do not be over greedy to answer a less mark question in much detail. This will waste your time unnecessarily and providing you less time for descriptive answers. Always try to answer the more weighing (marks) questions first. However, this can be choice only if you know all the answer to all of them. 😊
6. Review your answer immediately: Once you are done with the answer, you should review it immediately, so if you have missed anything, this is the correct time because of the fresh memory.
Wishing You All the Best!
Ask me more by commenting on the blog.